Public Health England has launched a new Smokefree Health Harms campaign to encourage the nation’s 7 million smokers to make a quit attempt this January.
The new TV advert illustrates how poisons from tar in cigarettes enter the bloodstream, spreading around the body in seconds, causing damage to major organs, as data reveals one person in England is admitted to hospital every minute with a smoking related illness.
Key facts on smoking...
· Smoking kills 79,000 people per year in England
· Half of all long-term smokers will die from a smoking-related illness
· One person is admitted to hospital in England every minute with a smoking-related illness
· Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, more than 70 of which may cause cancer
· Smoking prevalence in England has reached a record low, with smokers accounting for 15.5% of the adult population, down from 19.9% in 2010
Free, proven support to help you quit!
Join the millions of people who have used Smokefree support to help them stop smoking. There's loads of support to help you quit, so choose what's right for you.